Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Vintage Rose Kitchen: Strawberry jam anyone?

A continental breakfast tray ... yummy!!
There's an abundance of strawberries around at present, so I thought it best to take advantage of this fact and get down to making some fruity strawberry jam. It always amazes me how simple and relatively quick, making jam is. The biggest demand is the prep (which really isn't much) and the occasional stirring to make sure the jam doesn't stick or burn...

So here's the recipe I used :

1kg strawberries (cleaned and halved or quartered, altho I like to leave some the smaller ones whole, as it makes a fruitier jam)
900g sugar
200mls fresh lemon juice
80mls water

Makes 4-5 jam jars

1. Put all ingredients in a large pot, and over low heat allow the sugar to dissolve and form a syrup (keep an eye on this so as not to burn).
2. Once the sugar is liquid, turn the heat up and bring to a "boil".
3. Once boiling turn heat down to keep the mixture simmering for at least 20 minutes (which is what the recipe recommends, altho I prefer to boil the mixture for another 10-20minutes - it just makes the jam slightly thicker).
4. Sterilise your jam jars, and bottle whilst hot (CAUTION that you don't burn yourself).
Label and enjoy!!!

My next venture in jam making is going to be Apricot jam. As apricot season is very short and I missed it last year, I have made a reminder on our kitchen blackboard, ..... so, watch this space!!!

My reminder on the kitchen blackboard!

Gena

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin